A Normal Post

Normality approached me the other day, quite irate. It seems I have been neglecting him. He cried to me with a reason I could not fault. He tried to show me my life in perspective. I couldn't keep my eyes on him though. I don't even remember what colour his hair was. Problem was, there was a discount bakery behind him. When I returned with a discount butter croissant, he'd gone. A small lump of acrid goo rose up my throat. It was fear, I thought, so I hocked and tried to spit it out, but it caught in my larynx and I accidentally swallowed it again. It was fear indeed. And full of yeast. It rose and rose inside me until I got scared. So, here is my desperate attempt at reconciliation. Being normal is good, and good is good, so I hope you'll have me back, my friend.

I am still in southern Germany at the moment, and having a good time. The small university town I am staying in here is surprisingly full of life, mainly because it is populated almost entirely of university students and their teachers. The town, though, is very old and the buildings give a very different feel from the atmosphere indoors. Outside it is an ancient town of tradition, but indoors there are always people dining and drinking and having a good time. Inside, there is dancing and chatter and jazz and some exhibits of some wonderfully obscure art that really makes you think, you know?

I am also still looking for a job. It is difficult to find work in Germany in the best circumstances, and with me not speaking German and not having an EU identity card, it is proving impossible. I have a few people mildly interested in me to teach English, but I hold no high hopes. Even if I do find a temporary job as a teacher, it will not bring enough money to save - so I would just be biding my time. It seems the only choice is to cut my journey short. I will keep trying, especially in Switzerland and perhaps in America, but considering how difficult I find job searching, I have no expectation.

Well, I hope that was normal. I tried not to think while I wrote it. I remembered a little bit what Normality looked like. His black close-cropped hair and his browny-green eyes that may have been greeny-brown or maybe a little closer to brown with a touch of green. His normal skin with a few normal freckles and his medium build on his medium-heighted frame.

Yes, it all started coming back to me, and I looked into Normality's face and wanted to wipe a piece of bread covered with vegemite across his face.

Comments

Popular Posts