A Typical Lament

I've awoken this morning after a good night's sleep in a wonderful home next to my beautiful love, lamenting only that I am proving too lazy and disorganised to exercise regularly. My phone informs me of the regular frights of islamiphication and seeming increased violence in the world, of the nearing of the grotesque Trump, of the embarrassing remarks of Australian politicians, but eclipsing these events for me is an article about a little mouse.

The mouse has become extinct in Australia, because its habitat has slowly been destroyed by climate change.

Last week the article that eclipsed all others for me was of the bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef. The description of the soft coral rotting and dripping off its dead skeleton killed a little part of my happiness and hope.

We are no longer just destroying the planet for our children, we are destroying it within our lifetime. It is possible that entire ecosystems I grew up with will cease to exist before a child of mine can experience them.

Comments

Popular Posts