An Attitude to Life

It may come as a shock to none of you, but I am rather hedonistic. This manifests itself in my being volatile - sometimes highly affected by current situation, becoming terribly sad when I am down, almost manic when I am not. It is not what I know to be manic depression, although I understand that to be a spectrum disorder - for the basic reason that my moods are not long lasting enough to constitute a problem, nor am I susceptible to severe depression in the face of bad sadness as I have experienced in the past twice or thrice.

Another manifestation on my experience-dominated attitude to life is the sincerity and depth of the emotions that I experience.  When I fall in love, I become awash with it, completely consumed, and it touches every fibre of my being.
When something irritates me I am enraged.
I've curbed this some, though, as I've aged.

One of the manifestations I do not have of a hedonistic outlook is a desire for drugs. Aside from alcohol and caffeine, I've had little time for them. My writing has sparked severe worry in my mother, but the hardest illicit substance I've used is marijuana, and that in extreme moderation mostly because I found it stultifying, almost deadening, and in the wrong company it made me shriek inside slowly with paranoia.

Comments

Popular Posts