Vive La France

I am surprised to find Paris so unlike what I have heard about it. It is slowly seeping into me, and becoming part of my personality like a wave diluting a pond.

It is irrelevant if I like Paris or not - the city is indispensable. I will have to return here.

It is not the city of lights or the city of love. It is not a city of people urinating on the streets, or a conveyor belt of tourist attractions. The people are not arrogant or rude. The people are not overwhelmingly kind. They are not extremely intelligent nor stupid. The city is not the Eiffel Tower or the Arc De Triomphe. It is not the Louvre. The city is endless. It fades to fog in the horizon and in history.

They are proud and have a refreshing arrogance. There is such pleasant comfort in their arrogance that it seems it is not them who are arrogant, but the rest of the world's people who are abnormally lacking in self confidence.

I love Paris. The feeling is unrequited. It does not care about me. It does not need me or anyone like me. And that is part of the attraction.

Comments

Popular Posts