snorkelling in nice

I'm writing this for myself, to chronicle a few of the things I've done recently. Nothing particuarly exciting, no climax, but things I want to remember.

I'll work backward.

My day today was snorkeling off the Cape of Nice. I was only in the water for around an hour, but it dominated the day as is often the case with days. It cost me the skin of my feet to get to the spot I wanted to get to because the ground was so hot from the sun and I was barefoot not wanting to take anything but the essentials with me because I was alone and had nowhere to lock anything up while I was in the water.

The water was almost unnoticeable in temperature so I could have stayed in many hours. It was only cold when I went very deep and then it was cold very suddenly down around the depth where the long wavy prehistoric-looking plants start to grow. I do not know if the thermocline is a specific depth, how much it varies around the world and in different waters, nor exactly why such a sudden sharp change in temperature is there at all. From that depth it took about ten seconds for my air bubbles to rise to the surface. I rose with the bubbles, sometimes faster, sometimes staying with them watching them. They formed into jelly-fish half-spheres, and the refraction of light made them opaque silver.

The day before I also went snorkeling, around the outcrop of rocks just off the old town of Nice. It is beautiful for me to be in the water, especially beneath the surface. I achieve a sort of peace there which I imagine other people achieve with Yoga and meditation. I feel completely at home in my own body, a feeling of coordination and belonging which I do not often have on land.

Getting there, and on the way back along the shore road I passed an old almost-building, the mostly-destroyed half of which still perches out on an outcrop of rock, joined only by a thin rusted walkway. The whole is locked in diligent deri...

Comments

Popular Posts