Riding Shotgun
I arrived in London and I shot from the hip. I was aiming for a short-term contract in Europe, and I hit a permanent position in New York. Other forces are controlling my life now. I'm just along for the ride, mouth open and tongue flapping in the wind.
I am still in London now, but I will be flying out very soon.
The company is Mycroft Inc. They were keen for me to start immediately, and I was keen to get paid so I have negotiated an odd preliminary contract deal. While my paper personality bounces through the bureaucracy of US immigration, I have been contracted in the UK, by a subsidiary of Mycroft called Teliris.
Effective immediately, I am being paid by Teliris. My contract stipulates I will be researching technologies - a job I can carry out from anywhere, including Australia. The contract is 2 weeks initially, but is extendable.
In that time, I am going to follow the path of my round-the-world ticket and return to Australia. I will have to organise my US visa, which may require me stopping in Sydney, or going back down there for a while. Either way, once I have permission to work in the Land of the Free, I will fly to New York and begin.
The contract is aside from my permanent position - it does not count as a holiday. So, I still have 3 weeks of holiday in the year, most of which I will useto return at Christmas (because, as exciting as last year's solitary picnic on a park bench was, I'm not going without crackers and conversation again).
I do not know yet when I will arrive back in Brisbane , but it may take some time to get through the States, through Hawaii and through Sydney. I also do not know how long I will have in Brisbane, but I suspect 2 weeks at the maximum.
It has been a long time and I am looking forward with serious longing to return to Australia. It is a pity the trip will be brief, but I will compensate by not sleeping and talking with at least 3 people at once at all times. I have many plans, and I will try to organise things before I get home.
I'll get in touch. We should definitely do lunch some time.
Till soon,
Sergeant Plink.
I am still in London now, but I will be flying out very soon.
The company is Mycroft Inc. They were keen for me to start immediately, and I was keen to get paid so I have negotiated an odd preliminary contract deal. While my paper personality bounces through the bureaucracy of US immigration, I have been contracted in the UK, by a subsidiary of Mycroft called Teliris.
Effective immediately, I am being paid by Teliris. My contract stipulates I will be researching technologies - a job I can carry out from anywhere, including Australia. The contract is 2 weeks initially, but is extendable.
In that time, I am going to follow the path of my round-the-world ticket and return to Australia. I will have to organise my US visa, which may require me stopping in Sydney, or going back down there for a while. Either way, once I have permission to work in the Land of the Free, I will fly to New York and begin.
The contract is aside from my permanent position - it does not count as a holiday. So, I still have 3 weeks of holiday in the year, most of which I will useto return at Christmas (because, as exciting as last year's solitary picnic on a park bench was, I'm not going without crackers and conversation again).
I do not know yet when I will arrive back in Brisbane , but it may take some time to get through the States, through Hawaii and through Sydney. I also do not know how long I will have in Brisbane, but I suspect 2 weeks at the maximum.
It has been a long time and I am looking forward with serious longing to return to Australia. It is a pity the trip will be brief, but I will compensate by not sleeping and talking with at least 3 people at once at all times. I have many plans, and I will try to organise things before I get home.
I'll get in touch. We should definitely do lunch some time.
Till soon,
Sergeant Plink.
Comments